Saturday, March 15, 2008

The Holy Week Begins

Today is Palm Sunday - the Holy Week begins.

The church I grew up with (and is still attending) has avoided references to Easter and Christmas, reason being that these events are not mentioned in the bible. However, this has changed some years back when the church started using the lectionary readings as a framework for Sunday worship. Easter and Christmas are celebrated for the first time in our church.

While I don't recall how the congregation was specifically prepared by the leaders for this change, I do recall 2 years ago, Ethan came home and talked about Palm Sunday. It struck me then the school was preparing him better (than me or our church) the significance of the Holy Week. I googled and learned much about how other Christians prepare and commemorate the the Holy Week - Palm Sunday, Good Friday and Easter Sunday. I came away with the conclusion that as long as God is worshipped during the celebrations, that God is the focus (and not some entertainment programmes), it is good to celebrate these events.

So for this Holy Week, if you have little children, you may want to teach them about the passion and resurrection of Jesus Christ using the resources found here. For those with older kids, you may want to read the lectionary readings with your kids and reflect on the significant events during the Holy Week.

Let the remembering begin..

No comments: