Sunday, September 16, 2007

No Need for Balance

This past week saw the boys returning to school to start Term 4. It had been a rusty start for me hugely because I was rushing to finish off some editing work which I've been doing for the past month. So intent on finishing the labourious project I was at the computer even when the kids were back home from school (I usually try to limit my computer time to the mornings when they are away at school). Of course I was painfully aware that I was neglecting them (coz they kept taking turns to mama this mama that) but the thought of prolonging this project was simply unbearable. But now with that work behind me, I'm looking forward to the week with a renewed spirit.

Not only is it elusive, the balanced life is often a synonym for our wanting to "have our cake and eat it too". We want to live our busy driven lives and enjoy God's shalom at the same time. Instead of pursuing a balanced life, we should be seeking an obedient life.......Jesus lived His life with the freedom that comes with obedience. When it was time to do "overtime" He did it. When it was time to retreat to the mountains to pray, He did it. He lived an obedient life.....We need to ask Him what He wants us to do with our time, what He wants us to do with our lives. And when He tells us we must obey. - Tan Soo-Inn, Travel Mercies, 2005

No comments: