Mayhem reigned in the school library when the skies opened up! Hoards of Duracell bunnies who were suddenly deprived of their outdoor games during recess, found their way to the library. Poor Mr A, the elderly librarian, had to deal with boys who either can't read the "Closed" sign or can read, have no problem with comprehension but still want to try their luck at the already crowded library. I couldn't even spot my friend, the other mother volunteer ;-) I was at the counter helping a student librarian to stamp the due dates (you have to understand it's an important front line job, lol). Mr A's whistle was basically ineffective in this fish market. By the way, every teacher in this school has a whistle hung around their neck. It's either the case of kids of today or of BOYS.
Anyway, I was very zen throughout. Maybe it was because the day started well - V, an 10-year-old autistic boy and permanent resident of the school library actually said hi to me first and talked to me (ok, we managed about 3 to 4 connected sentences before he was lost in his own world). A pity he is autistic, he devours books (ah, we have something in common). Or maybe it was because Ewan came by and we spent a short time looking at a craft book together at the first recess before the rain started. Whatever the case, I was actually enjoying my job during the mayhem - I offer good service you know, talking with the boys on their choice of books and wishing them "enjoy your books" with a smile, lol) When recess ended and the library emptied, the full impact dawned before my eyes - books were strewn all over the tables, shelves and floor!! Sigh, there goes my zen - from front line to maid service ;-)
No comments:
Post a Comment