Tuesday, February 12, 2008

He Who Has An Ear , Let Him Hear

Yesterday I was at the kids' school and I caught the bible lesson that was delivered to the children during assembly. I was so impressed that the entire school of boys were listening to it attentively. This is done every Monday.

First there were prayers, then a female teacher read the text on The Temptation of Jesus in Matthew 1-11. The text was flashed in powerpoint verse by verse. Next, the male teacher explained the text using graphics in powerpoint. He made the story relevant to the children's life by teaching them how to overcome temptation. The lesson ended with a song of praise Shine Jesus Shine. And he dismissed them with a blessing "We wish you Jesus".

I "tested" my boys after school and to my surprise, even Ewan could recall the entire story, down to the detail of each of Jesus' reply to Satan. The bible lesson was easily about 30 minutes and kids as young as the Primary Ones could sit still to listen. It wasn't a simple lesson mind you. I heard the teacher using words like Jesus' mission on earth, kingdom work etc.

I wonder if more could be done to encourage the kids at my church to sit and listen during sermon. We pack them off to their own children's worship with the assumption that children have to be taught in a different way (i.e. freedom to move their bodies in songs and praise, stories told using drama and puppets and games, etc). Parents are relieved that their kids have their own worship so they themselves can worship in peace. Kids who outgrow the children's worship think that the adult worship is boring. The last I heard, there will be another worship arrangement to differentiate the younger kids from the older ones. Overboard or what? It is good to think of innovative ways to teach a bible lesson but please stop short at entertaining them that they are hungering for the wrong things. The power lies in God's words not man's actions.

Ethan sits with us during worship. He may be doodling but he is listening to the sermon because he will laugh at the jokes and asks me things he didn't understand. Ewan joins the children's worship and he has yet to recall the lessons taught there as precisely as the way he did for the lesson taught in his school. Maybe it's time for me to train him to sit with us. He who has ears let him hear...

No comments: