Monday, February 18, 2008

Children's Worship

Two responded to my earlier post on children's worship and I googled and found the following articles which I've never come across till today and of which I'm glad that they confirmed what I've thought all along.

1. The Place of Children in Adult Worship

"But children learn best by imitation. Unless they are where adults are worshiping, they will miss the opportunity to learn by example. Indeed, they may decide that the worship of God is an adult activity which has no relevance for them."

Article explores how families have worshipped together since the earliest times and how we can integrate children in adult worship rather than segregate the two.

2. Children in Worship

Article quoted Spurgeon who in 1873 said, "I begin to feel more and more that it is a mistake to divide the children from the congregation. I believe in special services for children but also have them worship with us. If our preaching does not teach children, it lacks some element it ought to possess. I like to see the congregation made up not all of the young, nor all of the old, but some of all sorts gathered together."

It also explores the reasons for modern church to have separate worship for the children, which sounds interestingly familiar where I come from.

"The reasons for separate worship for children are several, and seemingly very reasonable. Firstly, they are noisy and distract others who wish to worship profitably. Secondly, they derive nothing from sermons which by their very nature will address issues which are far above their heads. Thirdly, children are just not happy in the church atmosphere, and need to be with those of their own age to gain any profit. However, these reasons have no Biblical basis whatsoever, and have really been a major factor in driving our children from their ever owning the covenant."

My favourite quote from the article:

"The God-ordained means of communicating Gospel truth and pressing home the nature of Christian obedience is by the preaching of the Word of God, and it is not through "children's church" or extended entertainment in the nursery that this will be done."

3. Born to Worship

This article emphasizes that the ideal of congregational worship that involves children and adults must be "pursued relentlessly" despite the challenges because "worship that is meaningful to all generations will provide immeasurable blessings for God's people".

4. Beyond Cheerios and Crayons

This article explores 3 key factors in making worship meaningful to children:

i) Environmental: how does the physical environment eg interior deco, encourage the children in worship?

I find the following hilarious (for obvious reasons):

"Many congregations reserve pews in the back of the sanctuary for families with small children. But is that really the best place for children to sit? Think about it. Is it no wonder that our children often tune out what’s going on in church? Try slumping down in your pew to their eye level and see what it’s like to try and pay attention!"

ii) Rituals & Predictability: predictable and repetitive elements in worship actually helps the children to be part of it.

iii) Intentional Enculturation (wah big big words here): actually it means simply parents and pastors should intentionally plan worship with children in mind.

Yes, both parents and pastors.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Aunty Kwai Theng, Thank God for your words of wisdom! Take care and God bless...I still remember the article for the readers!Thank you for serving cheerfully(:

kt said...

Young man, you're truly a fine example of one seeking God. May the kids you teach be infected by your love for Him! Thanks for visiting, God bless. Oh yes, am glad you are working on the article ;-)

Anonymous said...

After reading the articles posted on "chilren's worship" I signed up my son to wash up communion cups! Hee!

kt said...

haha, if it works, pls roster the rest of the kids in church ^_^