Will I marry? asked Ethan last night. (Ya, it definitely was conversation night last night. This is my 3rd post)
"Why do you ask?"
"Do you want me to get married or stay not married?"
I took a deep breath. Okay, life lesson time again. Parenting experts will approve of my seizing the opportunity to impart life values (MY values).
"If you find someone you love and that someone loves you back, then get married". I was mightly pleased with my simple yet impactful answer. Surely a 7 going 8-year-old boy will understand.
Then, thinking I should make clear the only criteria I thought is important in choosing a spouse, I told him that the special SHE must be a Christian, one who loves God deeply.
"Any kind of Christian also can right?"
"Er....also can." This is definitely not the time to discuss the branches of Christianity. Ever since we enrolled Ethan in a Catholic Mission School, I constantly have to explain the differences between the practices of Catholics and Protestant Christians, albeit in simplistic ways.
"It's okay not to marry too?"
"Yes, its okay." I pointed out Uncle J and Auntie S are singles but stopped short at pointing out the oft quoted famous single, Apostle Paul. Nah, too heavy.
"So does she have to be younger or older than me?" This teaching window is way too big for my liking. I don't think I am ready to think about future daughters-in-law at this point in time.
"Ya, age doesn't matter". I hope so..any more questions??
"You can't marry your cousins right? In bible times, people marry their cousins." I quickly ran through mentally the female cousins of Ethan. Only 2. No wait, more, including those many times removed. But I said "No, you can't".
"We can't marry mama right?" Oh my, Ewan has decided to join in the discussion.
"No, you can't". By this time, I reckoned that short and direct answers are good enough.
The boys seemed satisfied and left the topic at that. Phew! Let's hope they will talk to me when they meet the girl of their dreams.