Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Parenting 101 - Listen & You Will Hear

I was in the bathroom when the doorbell rang. My two boys opened the door to find a salesman peddling a book on how to raise a smart child or something like that. I instructed Ethan to tell the man I wasn't interested. After my bath, Ethan told me that the man looked so sad (and proceeded to demonstrate). The man also said that the book is suitable for boys like Ethan and it's autographed too (Ethan has no idea what it means).

Ok, life lesson time. Told him that all sales perons in the world will of course tell you the best things about the product to persuade you to part with your money and buy it; we don't want to buy things that we don't need, yadda yadda. Of course these well-intended messages didn't sink in. Then I affirmed Ethan for feeling for the man and that I'm proud that he could feel for people. Bingo. He teared. Sigh. It took me so long to hear him. Parenting 101 for you.