Monday, May 12, 2008

On Motherhood

Happy Belated Mother's Day!

Some thoughts:

1) There are many qualities in my mum that I appreciate. Most of all is her quiet support of my decision to be a stayhome mum. Not that I needed her approval in that decision, but somehow I felt at that time that I had let her down because she had supported me through university. We have never talked about it openly but not once had she asked me to reconsider or say anything negative, while other older folks have commented time and again what a waste of my education to become a housewife.

2) With 2 school-going kids, it is tough not to measure their worth by their performance in school. A huge chunk of their day is spent in school. Conversations and interaction between the kids and I inevitably revolve round school life - teachers, friends, lessons, homework, etc. I get impatient or disappointed with less than satisfactory work. It's a struggle. I just have to constantly remind myself to be involved in other aspects of their life. I still read to them at night (nothing beats having shared memories of good books). Papa talks with them about their Nintendo/PSP games (Greek to me but they can get so animated over it).

3) God has surrounded me with Mothers! and I'm thankful for the support and friendship. I meet with a group of homemakers to do bible studies every Thursday morning. I must say that the diligence of the members in reading and learning and sharing put other cells in my church to shame ;-) All praise to God for protecting our weekly slot together. Another group of mothers that I know are from the parent support group at my kids' school. I have nothing but admiration for their commitment towards helping other kids in the school. And last but not least, my dear friends since school days and working days - many of whom are mothers. I'm thankful for you all!

No comments: