"I try to live a stress-free life", so declared our young 14-year-old friend yesterday. She was unfazed by the fact when she returns to Australia next month after her holiday here, school would have already started and she hasn't gotten her new books yet. This confident young lady observes that children lead such a stressed life here. Her cousins here have jam-packed schedules on Saturdays.
I like her cool attitude. It's not about being laid-back that we often associate with Aussies. It's about how we approach things that are beyond our control. If we can't do anything to change the situation, why worry? She reminds me of a friend who used to say "What is the worst that could happen?" After he "forces" you to answer this question, he would ask if you can deal with that "worst". And very often, believe it or not, we can actually live with that. Miss the bus? Late for school? Got scolding? Bad hair day?
A couple of weeks back, parents of Primary One students were given a talk by the school's parent support group. The chairman said something like "Parents, PLEASSSE, it's not the end of the world when you child missplaces his water bottle." He was trying to tell parents that while it is good and well to encourage personal responsibility, it is "okay" if a water bottle or wallet is misplaced. We can gently guide our kids to find the misplaced items and the "worst" is to buy a new one lah. While I didn't squirm in my seat, I was guilty of nagging at Ewan that very first day at school to BE CAREFUL with your wallet ;-D
Come this Thursday, I'll be hosting the cell group. Mrs K who has hosted for the past 2 years - excellent host - sets a very high standard leh. I've already nagged at my better half to finish the painting (yes, we are still at it and we are only left with the front door, yeah!!) and clear his stuff. I've also mentally noted down the things to do before Thursday so that the place will be presentable. What is the worst that could happen? My fellow sisters go away with the impression that I'm a bad homemaker? Aiyoh, it won't happen. For one, my dear sisters are not that kind of people. But actually hoh, I'm not too a good a homekeeper to be honest, why pretend hahaha. Hey, I can deal with the "worst"! I shall leave that layer of dust alone...
No comments:
Post a Comment